Thursday, April 27, 2006

The web as personal archival tool... Part II

The concept of taking notes from anywhere and accessing them again from anywhere was an early internet concept. Telnet, unix, and vi or emacs has allowed me to do that since 1984. But adding photos and using same tool to upload and view came about ten years later.

I wrote my first web log in January 1996... only sporadic blogging since then. Why? Here are my thoughts.

  • The three type of web logs I write are (1)to-do lists, (2)reference notes and ideas, (3)natural history with photos.
  • I don't want my web logs password protected but I also don't want them indexed by search engines. It's a hassle to code the nofollow each time you post a note.
  • I do want to be able to search within my blogs and I want them organized by year/month.
  • I want to be able to access and edit blog from anywhere using any platform.
  • I want to be able to back up the entire set of web logs and photos locally with one click of the mouse.
  • I want to keep on a server that is fast and always up. This morning I tried using blogspot and couldn't access it. I want my blogs to reside on my own account in a professional environment such as Web Hosting by ICDSoft.
  • I want to be able to easily upload photos and write about them. I would also like to be able to get hard copies of the photos and let others do the same (easily).
  • I want to be able to distinguish by media type.

The closest I can get to that ideal is to work from Flickr using the "Blog This" feature with photos archived on that site. The blogs are then automatically posted here with a small version of the photo.

No comments: